Monday 3 October 2011

Open letter to Mumbaikars

Dear Mumbaikar,

At the outset, I would like to make it clear that I love your city. I have stayed here for a little over 5 months and I have enjoyed myself a lot. I like the way the taxi drivers in your city charge according to the meters. I like it that an average Mumbaikar will go out of his/her way to make a South Indian like me feel at home in your wonderful city. I love the shopping malls, the beaches, the festivities during Ganesh Chaturthi and your vada pavs. But I would like to clarify a few things about the land south of the Vindhyas.

South India comprises of 4 states and each state has its own official language. I can't believe that after 12 years of formal schooling you do not know which language belongs to which state. First of all, it is Kannada, not 'Kannad' just like it is Marathi and not 'Marath'. And no, Telugu and Kannada are not the same, so, one CANNOT be used as a synonym for the other. 

All South Indians do not know all 4 languages. Chennai is NOT the same as Bangalore and therefore, Royal Challengers Bangalore SHOULD NOT be confused with Chennai SuperKings. 

It also goes without saying that all South Indians DO NOT speak with a Mallu accent..

I would also like to add that you should try Masala Dosas in a South Indian city before you order for it in any restaurant in Mumbai. (But having said that I do appreciate that our food is available in your city, so no offence meant here!)

Yours truly,
Stereotyped South Indian in Mumbai.

PS: I promise not to label Maharashtrians as North Indians ;)

PPS: I am trying to learn Marathi. Please give me some more time :)

PPPS: Mumbai Indians will be my second favourite team after RCB.

3 comments:

A Fineapple said...

nice post.. enjoyed reading it.. :) :)

Purple Mist said...

Thanks. It has been quite frustrating for me in Mumbai so far.

mouna said...

this was required, i see. have u made this clear with your friends there and do they get the point?