Saturday 17 September 2011

Book review: The Vault of Shiva

The Vault of Shiva
by Andy McDermott
Hachette India
Rs. 299

Hmmm... Here I am reviewing yet another thriller novel. I must admit though, that the title of the book caught my eye rather than the author/ book itself. I had always wanted to read a thriller based on Hindu mythology so I started reading the book with sky high expectations.. The book started off interestingly enough with a group of mercenaries pulling off a rather impossible heist, one that involves Michelangelo's David. And that is just one of the priceless artifacts that have been stolen around the world. 'What' the purpose of the robberies is, and 'Who' the person behind it is, were revealed even before I had finished reading half the book and I was left wondering with 'Why' I was still reading it. Not to be overly critical, but a reader does expect twists and turns of some kind but with all the suspense thrown out so early, the rest of the book seems to be a total drag, to be honest.

Plus, the other major disappointment was obviously in the handling of the Hindu connection. The West never tires of stereotyping India and this book is another such example (What kind of a name is Madirakshi Dagdu?!) The saving grace was of course our protagonists Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase, or maybe I'm just a sucker for a husband-wife crime solving duo!

My rating: 2.5/5 (Being a little generous here!)

No comments: