Sunday 18 September 2011

Dreams and Destiny

I have been in Mumbai for more than 5 months now, well past the homesickness stage. It's the time when I can now think clearly if this was what I wanted to be and more importantly if this was the place in which I wanted to be.. The answer is still uncertain, if this was an MCQ question, I would have certainly marked the option 'none of the above!' But life ain't so simple and there is never a vague option, but always a regretted decision!

When I was a kid, whenever people asked me what I wanted to be, I always said, "Doctor!" And the wise elders would nod their heads in appreciation. But deep inside I knew... Medical Science had never held my fascination. I wanted to be.. A scientist discovering new alternatives to petroleum and plastic! A librarian surrounded by books! An environmentalist saving the world! A Nobel prize winner! But then I became...

A doctor.

Yes, I am in a field which I had no interest in, but somehow have gotten used to the vagaries of medical life. I do not claim to be the most passionate doctor around, but I know I'm a good one. Do I regret my decision ? Some times.. No, many times. I am pretty sure you haven't met too many doctors who regret being who they are or what they do. But the species in point does exist, for I am a shining example.

Sometimes dreams don't come true, destiny does.

No comments: