Tuesday 27 December 2011

No. 34

Like most people, when I'm bored while in a bus or basically just sitting around, I use my cell phone to play random games or listen to songs on my iPod. Once, I got bored with the games and didn't have my iPod, so I was just going through the apps installed on my phone and realized that I had this really cool app- Aldiko Book Reader. I had forgotten all about it after it's installation, telling myself that I had no patience to read a book on a cell phone. Well, on this fateful day, I found a book that I had downloaded from the internet- Arthur Conan Doyle's Round the Red Lamp and started reading it for want of anything better to do and found myself hooked from page 1!

It's an amazing book really, took me back to my school days where we would read (or be forced to read, rather!), English from the early part of the twentieth century. There are words used in the book which we would know the meaning of, but rarely use on a daily basis. I'm a huge fan of Dan Brown, David Baldacci, and other such similar thriller writers, and had gotten used to a fairly straightforward way of writing, so Arthur Conan Doyle was completely different... But in an enjoyable way. There are no twists or edge of the seat suspense, but a classic is always a classic!

So I find myself these days reading a few older books, yes, on my cell phone. It's wonderful how technology helps discover something you love! Right now, I skip all the games on my phone and directly open the book reader app and start reading Jack London's Call of the Wild when I'm bored.

For those interested classics can be downloaded legally and for free on- www.gutenberg.org


1 comment:

Saru Singhal said...

Thanks for the link. I am planning to buy a kindle for this purpose...